Course Date: 20 November 2019, 12:45 - 17:00
Cathy O’Malley RGN, Dip Trav Med, FFTM RCPS(Glasg)
Duration of Course: 4 hours
Location: Medical Education Centre, Warwick Hospital
Price: £85.00 per Delegate
Available Places: 18
Who should attend
This half day update is intended for nurses with experience in the field of Travel Health. It is suitable for those who have completed a New to Travel Health course and also for those who may not have done formal training but have experience doing Travel Health consultations and who wish to update their knowledge, The RCN (RCN 2018 Travel Health Nursing: Career and Competence development) recommends nurses working in Travel Health attend an annual update. This update covers topics including vaccines, malaria, professional issues and the latest developments in Travel Health.
Having completed the half day course, delegates will:
• Be aware of topical issues in travel health and be able to provide evidence based advice to travellers.
• Understand how to access the most up to date resources for use in the travel consultation and to identify when it is appropriate to use them.
• Demonstrate skills of risk assessment for complicated trips.
• Be aware of updates regarding travel vaccines and malaria which may have changed in the past year and provide up to date advice to travellers.
• Have increased knowledge of Global malaria and malaria in travellers returning to the UK.
• Be able to identify which travellers are at higher risk of getting malaria and which are more likely to die from malaria, tailoring their advice to travellers accordingly.
• Demonstrate an understanding of professional issues in the Travel consultation.
The course will also include structured learning and will be interactive, with learning taking place using case studies.
The topics covered are:
• What’s new in Travel Medicine?
• Malaria Update
• Travel vaccine update
• Zika Virus
• FGM & the travel consultation
• Case scenarios
• Resources to use in the travel consultation
• How to stay up to date
The trainer for this course is Cathy O’Malley RGN, Dip Trav Med, FFTM RCPS(Glasg)